People 1st Programme has designed this package to educate and provide resources to those working alongside children and adults with an intellectual disability. Each topic is comprised of individual units which are conveniently done online and take a duration of 60 – 90 minutes to complete. You will be further supported by receiving a comprehensive teaching module with each unit you complete. These modules contain lesson plans, worksheets and resources that will assist you in delivering an extensive Sexuality Education programme.
This package gives providers access to the below eLearning units:
Protective Education Frameworks
- The importance of providing Protective Education
- The five essential concepts of Protective Education
- Activities and resources to assist.
- Different types of communication styles
- Identify ways to communicate assertively
- Implement an assertive communication model.
Public and Private Concepts
- ‘Public’ and ‘Private’ as concepts for a person with an intellectual disability
- The concepts of personal space and public and private body parts, clothing, talk and places.
STIs and Contraception
- Common contraception methods
- Common STIs and their treatment
- Providing contraception and/or STI support to a person with an intellectual disability, not diagnosing, examining or recommending.
- Elements of healthy and unhealthy relationships
- Strategies and skills needed for building, maintaining and ending relationships.
Sex and the Law
- The laws in relation to sexual consent and sex
- The law in relation to accessing sex workers
- The law in relation to termination.
- Determining your ‘typical’ and ‘unexpected’ sexual behaviours for five major developmental age groups
- Flagging behaviours and referring on to appropriate services early.
Puberty and Hygiene
- Understanding why sexuality education is important
- Devising a programme about puberty and hygiene
- Strategies and resources to assist with physical and emotional changes, including personal hygiene issues.
This package also includes the below Toolkits:
Protective Education Toolkit
- Public and Private Concepts
- Being Assertive
- Feeling Safe
Sex Education Basics Toolkit
- Building Respectful Relationships
- Sex and the Law in WA
- What is Sex?
- Risk, Choices and Consequences
- STIs and Safer Sex
- Contraception Choices
- Men and women’s Health Basics
Navigating Puberty Toolkit
- Body Changes
- Puberty Feelings
- The menstrual Cycle
- Managing Menstruation
You will receive an email with your Teaching Module Toolkits and access to the eLearning units once the package is purchased.